Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Addicted to the needle (I love...tattoos)

For those who haven't read it, I'd like to draw your attention to a guest blog post by Anastasya, a good friend of mine, on her brother's blog, An Unquiet Day.

I love the last paragraph. It describes down to a T how I feel about tattoos and I could not have said it better myself.


People often tell me to slow down. They point out that tattoos are permanent... but face it – nothing is. Life is a fleeting, beautiful experience, and we make our surroundings as pleasant as possible while we're here. I decorate my body in the same way one decorates any dwellings. I put down meaningful symbolism, trying to capture as much of my journey as possible. This vessel isn't sacred. It is dust. What is important to me is the fleeting thoughts, feelings and ideas dwelling inside it, which I attempt to represent on the outside in small colourful icons.


I went to see Manuela at Wildfire again yesterday. To touch up my last piece and to discuss my next piece. I scheduled the next session for later in the year. It's a bigger piece and I will need to save some money for it.

I don't get any particular pleasure from the actual tattooing process.
I don't have a needle fetish. Tattooing can be uncomfortable, painful some times, a tattoo is ugly when the scabbing starts and you want to scratch off a layer of skin when it starts healing.

But I love that buzzing sound. Knowing that soon I'll have another beautiful decoration on my body.

2 comments:

  1. I've thought about getting a tattoo BUT ... I'm so fickle. I know that in a few years I'll hate it and what to scrub the damn thing off my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I waited until I was 25 to get a tattoo. And now... I have more than one. It is a big commitment, but I'm totally okay with commitment. Like my commitment to chocolate. Never ever wavers. Same like my tattoos. Love them forever.

    ReplyDelete