Saturday, August 1, 2009

Proliferation of bad taste

So I seem to have found the answer to my question about bad taste raised here in the oddest place.

I found it in Robert Rankin's The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse. You've probably guessed from the title of the book that Rankin is not a philosopher of any sort. But he does have a way of pointing out the obvious.

I quote:

Why it is that bad taste always triumphs over good is one those things that scholars love to debate, when they don't have anything better to do, such as getting a life and getting a girlfriend.
Is there actually such a thing as 'good taste'? they debate. Or 'Is it all merely subjective?'
Well, of course there is such a thing as good taste! Some things actually are better than other things, and people are capable of making the distinction.
But...
Bad taste will always ultimately triumph over good taste , because bad taste has more financial backing. There is far more profit to be made from selling cheap and nasty products, at a big mark-up, than selling quality items at a small mark-up. And you can always produce far more cheap and nasty items far nore quickly than you can produce quality items. Far more.

So, there we have it.

2 comments:

  1. It's all about perspective, really. Last week, I saw 4 paintings for sale on the wall of a cafe. Three of them were poorly-represented sea animals and shells. They were all $30 each. Then on top of them all, same size, was a painting of a llama's head. Just staring at us, watching us eat our organic treats. The llama was $110. I immediately googled "how much does a llama cost" and found that I could buy a real live llama for just a little more than that painting of a llama's head. Some day, I'd like to be able to spend that kind of money as a joke, which would proliferate bad taste because the artist would take that as a sign to paint MORE like the llamas. So sad, but I may not be able to help myself. Because- how funny would that be to get a gift of a llama's head painting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrm, I'm trying to decide if llama painting is worse, equal or better than a plastic pink flamingo. I've always wanted a plastic flamingo. And a real live llama as well!

    ReplyDelete