Thursday, August 6, 2009

Drapes of Knit

My education continues.

According to the latest House & Leisure, knitted home decor is all the rage. Now, I cannot stand knitted covers for cushion or ottomans or the like but I must say that a knitted throw is all in all cute. And I'm quite taken by, wait for it, knitted drapes.

So much so that I spent considerable time working out the logistics of knitting drapes. After realising that it would take me at least 6 months and 2 metre long knitting needles to complete but one drape, I gave up on the idea of knitting my own. What I need is a knitting machine. Anyone have one lying around somewhere?

Now I'm not talking about cutesy drapes like here. In fact any knitted drapes with any kind of pattern is frankly repugnant. I'm thinking more along the lines of big garter stitch, raw silk cum hessian effect. It would create a lovely bohemian look.


First home decor, now street art. Take a look at these anything-but-grannies decorating the streets of London:






There you have it: graffiti knitting. The creative 'anarchists' of Knit the City have blogs with titles like Whodunnknit and The Purple Purler.

Perhaps it is time to take my knitting talent to the next level. Right after I finish those drapes.

3 comments:

  1. Knitters of the world Cast on!!!!!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have relearnt how to crochet.

    Have needles, want to learn how to knit. Looking for teacher with great patience ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But those drapes will not afford privacy or light blockage. So...why?
    Knit me a blanky instead. I like purple and green and black.

    ReplyDelete