Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Okavango Delta

I've been back in South Africa for a while now and have almost completely adjusted back to my normal life again. At first it was strange taking a shower indoors, putting on make-up and perfume, having clean feet. I was only in the Delta for 6 days and you might ask how it's possible for me to have trouble adjusting to normal life after such a short time away but time moved much slower there. You lost track of days and after 2 days it felt like I was there for 3. After 3 days, it felt like a week.

I keep asking myself why did I come back. Of course I have family, a life, work here that I had to return to but I still allow myself the fantasy of missing my flight back on purpose, finding a bartending job at one of the lodges or backpackers (preferably the one where we stayed) and living out the rest of my life in an Africa a little rougher than what I'm used to.

At the risk of sounding sentimental and melodramatic, if there's something like a soul, I left a significant part of mine in the Delta. I'm regretting my decision to stay for such a short period. I wasn't sure what to expect and thought there might be a chance that I'd be miserable 'roughing' it. That I'd have difficulty coping with the heat and the insects. That wasn't the case, much to my surprise.

My heart started breaking on my second last day there and I failed miserably once or twice at keeping the tears back.

Over the next few days I'll recount my days spent in one the perfect places on earth.

5 comments:

  1. Where are the pics???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi girl ... was trying to find your email address on this darn blog. Want to tell you that I JUST met 2 people that know you. They were talking about how Google Earth and your day job. And I was like, "Marcia? Black girl? Lots of tattoos?"

    Also so far I love 3 of the authors on your list: Chuck, Nick and Bret. Have read some Neil - The graveyard book - wasn't too impressed. And every time I walk past a Margaret novel I think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have *lots* of tattoos :) Who were these people?

    I couldn't get the pics because I temporarily lost my flash drive. I will upload as I go along but they are up on facebook. Add me.

    Mail me on mmntvivere@gmail.com for FB details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course EVERYbody knows her!!!

    As for you roughing it: next up- The Congo. I want to go there for like 2 weeks and soak up life force in the jungle. Are ya with me?
    I can't afford the trip for like the next 5 years, so we've got some time to plan it.

    Where did you stay in the delta? I stayed at Gunns camp with some very nasty warthogs but very nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congo? Sounds good! And 5 years sounds good too. Enough time to prepare myself, physically, financially and mentally. Mostly mentally.

    We stayed at the Old Bridge Backpackers. Awesome people there too. And frogs and lizards that share your outdoor shower. I once shooed a frog out of the shower because I was afraid of stepping on it. It must've been a bit peeved because I swear the frog that came back later that even to jump on my tent was the same one!

    ReplyDelete