Friday, January 8, 2010

Maun Day 1: Getting there

It took 3 planes to get me to Maun. 4 for Astrid. On the plane from South Africa we meet Joss, a student from Stellenbosch who's going home to Francistown for the holidays. Joss is more than a little hungover.We get off the plane at Gaborone airport and the heat is unbearable. I make a beeline for some shade but this takes longer than it should since the airport is under construction. I think that if the temperature remains as high as it is there is no chance I'm going to survive in this country.

We spend some time with Joss while we wait for our respective flights. He's done the smart thing and gotten a beer. I've been craving beer for the last 6 hours but have made a resolution to stay sober until I reach my final destination. We say our goodbyes to Joss, who has another 3 hours to wait - in the unairconditioned airport, for his flight to Francistown. We take the long walk back to the plane in the sweltering heat. We do not smell like flowers anymore.

An hour later we land in Maun and I phone the backpackers who have arranged for someone to come and pick us up. The backpackers is some way out of town which is good since it's a pretty bleak town.


The Old Bridge Backpackers is situated on the tranquil Thamalakane river (I sound like I'm writing a brochure for this place).

David, the owner, welcomes us and offers us something cold to drink. I've made it. I can finally relax and graciously accepts his offer. If I wasn't exhausted I probably would have rejoiced by jumping up and down and shouting Hallelujah at the top of my lungs. I collapse into the nearest chair while waiting for our booking to be sorted out. I realise things work at a different pace here which is all good with me.

About 5 minutes after we arrive Jens walks in. He's from southern Germany and after our brief introduction we go to our respective tents to freshen up. Later we meet back at the bar and all being tired decide to fetch our books and spend some quiet time reading. That was not to be.

We've been trying to decide what to do while we're here and been getting advice from the other backpackers. Richard, a Peace Corps volunteer in Botswana, recommends we talk to own of the locals since she's quite clued up about what to do. It's her and 2 other girls' birthday. There was going to be a party. Did someone say party? So, of course, we join in the celebration of these total strangers' anniversary of their birth. Soon the books are lying forgotten on one of the table corners as the table is populated with beer cans and bottles.

The bar/restaurant area

Everybody is having an amazing time. Every is talking to everyone else and occasionally our books are mentioned and then dismissed. This is by far the best introduction to a place I have ever had and already I'm reflecting about what a fantastic place this is and how much I love it.

No, it had nothing to with the booze.

1 comment:

  1. The bar at my camp in the Delta was my favorite place to spend time. It's where everyone congregated, sharing stories, trading pictures, planning the next adventure, and escaping the torturous heat. Well, there was no real escape from the heat, but there was booze to take our minds off of it for awhile.
    Is this your second backpacker? You're getting so brave!!!

    ReplyDelete