Wednesday, October 28, 2009

This is a local place for local people (or Saturday that was)

Saturday morning, after having a few too many at the local bar Friday evening and wanting to escape the wrath of the vacuum cleaner the cleaning lady was intent on unleashing on me, I went to the local coffee café, Frangipanis, for breakfast.

It's simple, local pleasures like having a lazy breakfast, noticing the trees crowding the small gardens of the Victorian homes, watching the world go by and people doing their every day things, that are most enjoyable.

After breakfast, I needed to go to the local, family-run grocery to store get some bread and milk but was distracted by one of the many local antiques stores which had on display what I thought was the perfect bookcase. It was a display cabinet, not the elusive perfect bookcase, but upon further browsing I found a lovely retro drinks table. It was overpriced but I had to have it and managed to get a R150 discount.

Once home, I did my new, favourite thing and sat down on my lounger on the balcony with a cider, watching the going-ons of the harbour and baking in the sun.

After a nap it was time to venture further afield. It was time to leave the comfort of local and I met up with a friend and his friends from Johannesburg in Long Street. After mediocre Mexican food and cocktails I was not really in the mood for dancing but didn't want to go home. I pub/club hopped with the group but was soon overwhelmed by the crowds and smoke. After midnight I allowed my transformation into a pumpkin and headed home.

3 comments:

  1. Frangipanis??? Do you live in Woodstock? How is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was staying with Derek, he told me not to go to the Mexican place on Long Street because it's pretty bad. Now I know he was right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sid: Love Woodstock. Been here for almost 2 years now. Got a nice mix. Little bit of everything. Frangi's is great. Down to earth and cheap.

    Ambi: I tried the Mexican place for a second time hoping that it'd improved. Also, that's where the crowd was. I'll stick to my good Mexican place and can hopefully talk people into going there next time. I'll persuade them using my local knowledge.

    ReplyDelete